The History of Little Mount
By Berttye Sue Brown
The Little Mount Baptist Church was organized on August 21, 1801
with 35 organizing members, who came from a as far away as Rivals on
the north to Little Beech Creek on the south. The first location was
on a ridge off Snake Run or the present Little Mount Church Road.
The log structure was used for forty years before the church was
moved to its second location a mile to the north. This brick
structure was used from 1840 to 1897, when a third building was
constructed across the road. The present building, located on
Highway 44 East in Little Mount was completed in1954. It was
constructed of Bedford stone and bricks from the old church. The
beautiful stained glass window's in the balcony, the brick bulletin
board out front were donated by church members and families along
with most of the labor.
Little Mount Baptist Church has a rich and colorful history,
faithfully recorded in minutes dating back to its inception.
Preachers were uneducated members of the community licensed "to
exercise their talent in publik". Brother Stephen Ashby was the
first pastor. They were not paid, lest their congregations would
mistrust them. Members were usually generous in providing for their
needs. Later, the church began to provide a salary. From the time of
the patorarate of Brother B.F. Hungerford (1861-65, 1878-87), whose
diary provided a detailed and insightful account of the church,
Little Mount pastors have been men with advanced education.
There is evidence of sharing the meetinghouse with the Methodists
for a time. In December 1889 a vote of the church was taken to
determine whether "out Methodist friends" have half of the new
meetinghouse. Since the Methodists were not in attendance that day,
they decided to proceed with raising funds without them.
Much of the early record concerned disciplinary action taken toward
members. All members were expected to attend business meetings on
Saturday once a month or present an excuse at the next meeting.
People were called before the membership and reprimanded for sins
such as drinking "spiritus liquor", "prophene" language, card
playing , "pitching money in public", dancing - or even suspicion of
dancing, "back biting", gossip, adultery, and non-attendance.
Pastors were not immune. In April 1807, a member complained to the
church against the pastor for "prophene language". The church agreed
to exclude him. Two months later, after offering repentance to the
church, he was reinstated.
By the early 1900's, concerns oft he business meetings were mostly
related to repairs and upkeep of the church buildings, property, and
cemeteries. Money began to be raised for missions, and in 1904 the
Women's Missionary Union was organized with four charter memberships
and continuing benevolent projects here in the county and far away.
The cemeteries of the first three churches had long been a concern
regarding proper maintenance. There are only four stones remaining
in the earliest one. The second and third cemetery grounds, located
on each side of Little Mount Church Road are maintained by the
church through a memorial fund established with funds donated by
individuals having family members buried there. Once in a while,
members still request burial in the beautiful country setting.
Be sure and
follow us on
(Page revised on 11-Jun-12)